The Official Blog of Ike Oden

The Official Blog of Ike Oden
... Who is a writer of sorts.

Friday, July 2, 2010

"You're just a tourist with a typewriter, Barton, I live here. "

Look Blog,

I don't know what exactly you're expecting from me with this entry. Today's scribbling proved robust and plentiful. Not only have you, my writing blog, become a hit with something like 5ish of my friends (some strictly internet, some not), but I managed to write about ten pages worth of hard-boiled pulp. This was, in part, thanks to my darling muse taking the Leonard (my stepson) reigns and allowing me to go to Ohio University's beautiful, musty Alden Library, whose computers pack the Microsoft Word needed to contain the utterly debilitating power of my prose.

My own laptop is on its last legs, complete with flickering monitor and faulty power source, so its a treat to work on a computer that doesn't freeze up every five minutes. Lets never take working technology for granted ever again, and promise we'll be best friends even after the summer is over and we have to go back to school to be with our regular friends-- no matter what the cool kids or the jocks say, social castes will not separate us, blog! Our love goes far beyond anything they could comprehend with their adolescent hormones. Lets run away together! Go far away from here, to Mexico, where I'll become a clam fishermen. We'll start a family and make passionate love on the beach every evening at sunset! Who cares if Mexico's beaches are littered with mountains of soiled prophylactics, used hypodermic needles, and dead bodies. We'll tell the rat race to go to hell and live life for us and us alone. Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for? Take me in your arms and ravish me, you fool!

Ah. Well, okay, I guess that's not going to happen, as I'm not really apart of any 'rat race', High School (thank God) or employment wise. I'm trying to rectify my employment issues to little avail. Yes, I looked into Long John Silvers. Yes, they haven't gotten back to me. Said fate is better than the looks of disdain I got when applying to a certain all-organic friendly farm-cooperative pseudo-Mexican-restaurant/swill-hole in downtown Athens. I won't name names, but this establishment, oh, lets call it The Casa, apparently look down on those applying to their establishment if they don't dress like a hobo, have tribal tattoos, or hold sway in some sort of monetarily unsuccessful rock group.

Yes, I know, the term is 'indie,' but, lets face it, it might as well be 'music rapist' when it comes to most of the auditory endeavors plaguing Athens. I would name a handful of those that aren't lumped into this category, but I'm in a bad mood and avoid admitting nepotism at all costs, for fear of being labeled a hypocrite. What? The band that followed yours at The Union sucked? Oh, man, that's too bad. I know you were really pulling for them to blow your set away, you envious, no talent alcoholic bag of fuck. You---

Ah, again. I'm going off on another tangent, aren't I? Okay, job frustrations aside, I have gotten quite a bit o' writing done this month, such as:

1. Put the finishing touches on the second-thirdish draft of a comic script

2. Wrote roughly twenty pages of hard nosed, investigatory crime solver guy stuff

3. Transcribed roughly four notebooks worth of movie/short story/comedy sketch/comic book ideas onto my computers, flash, and hard drives, respectively

4. Started this awesome, hyper sexual blog

5. Submitted a script to a literary magazine

6. Submitted a writing sample to a DVD review site

Not to mention I...

1. Graduated from OU with my Bachelor's Degree in Video Production

2. Applied to something like 20 jobs

3. Finished up a season of everyone's favorite indie (re: above definition) movie review web show, Greg & Satan At The Movies

4. Sold a bunch of DVDs on Ebay for exorbitant prices

5. Read a shit ton of comics!

So yeah, this last month has been pretty good to me, work/productive wise. It might not always seem like that, but that's because I'm a workaholic whose completely unable to relax if I'm not working toward some sort of goal meant to 'better myself,' however futile the idea is in what can only be a Godless universe built on a philosophy chaos; whose random events and tragedies ruin and take the lives of thousands every day with no just purpose or reason.

Or, yeah, maybe I'm doing it for the piece of mind of myself and my family. That works, too.

To close this blog out, let me say that I'll be 'off the grid' for the next week or so, working and house sitting for my parents and their beloved animals. While isolated their, I hope to get a lot of reading, writing, and movie watching done, to boot, not to mention some maximum R&R camping out with Jayme and Dylan.

Also, I watched Barton Fink today. That movie gets better and better every day. But, you're a super smart blog. You get my movie references. You know me so well.

xoxoxox

Harry Lime

1 comment:

  1. Plus, how many movies have you watched and how many hours of Dylan time have you had?

    ReplyDelete