The Official Blog of Ike Oden

The Official Blog of Ike Oden
... Who is a writer of sorts.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

From the Dogsitting Archives: Episode 1 of 2

July 6th 2010

"No Blog But What We Make"-- from the Dogsitting Files

Blog: Initiate

Primary Directives

a) Chart Ike's writing progress

b) Provide forum for Ike's jokes/pop culture tastings

c) Serve The Public Trust

d) ?

a): Blog. I have been at my parent's house for roughly 72 hours. 48 of those hours have been spent 'on my lonesome', taking care of my parents cats and dogs and struggling to write something, anything. My results have been mixed. On the side of success, I have re-read the latest draft of my feature script, Three Days To Passover.

For those not in the know (you included, blog), the script, based off a story cooked up by myself and my brother, is a love letter to independent filmmaking and the never-say-die moxy of artists who dare to pursue their dream, however blasphemous or ill-informed they may be. After threeish drafts, an un-Godly long scriptment (a combined script and a treatment, like what James Cameron does, only not good), I'm thinking this upcoming fourthish draft (its hard to keep up with the various versions and adaptations made to this script) will be the charm, fixing structural fandango, synthesizing and defining my many characters, and carving out consistent motifs to run throughout the piece. I'll say this much, without any bragging: there's a good thirty page stretch to this one that's damn fucking awesome. Now just to make the rest of it like that...

Also, I'm nearing the finish line (I think) for a Young Adult short story. Its a first draft, but will probably come in around 30 pages, which is pretty impressive for something I started around two or three weeks ago. I've also started a super short story told in my native tongue, that of horror. I'm not sure where its going to end up, but its a depressing, rightfully vindictive piece of grue about bad parents. I don't want to jinx it, so that's all I'm going to say for now.

b) Um... I got nothing, really, I watched Jaws 2 & 3 yesterday. 2 remains a decent film, an achilles heel for any sequel to one of the most spectacularly spectacular films ever made. A Jaws sequel shouldn't be decent, it should either rock ass or, more realistically, suck ass. Damn Roy Scheider for his badass performance. It completely derailed most of the camp factor (up till the end, anyway). Jaws 3, however, is pure velveeta, grade B, completely generic from its Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset, Jr. performances to the remarkably abysmal dialogue from screenwriting God Carl Gottlieb and horror/scifi God Richard Matheson. They DO bring it to the set pieces, however, which I'm sure looked spec-fuckin-tacular on paper, but, due to primitive animatronics, stop motion animation, and Sea World wankery. Joe Alves tries his hardest, but the man can't ape Spielberg as well as Jaws 2's Jeannot Swarzc, nor can he hide the strings from his audience, both in puppeteering his actors and his rubber sharks. Neither top the insanity that is Jaws 4, which is a movie I can only imagine would be horror cinema's equivalent to a bottle of absinthe (not that I ever imbibed down that road).

Also, I'm finishing up Sarah Connor Chronicles, which is still fucking amazing, and blah blah blah, I can't believe it was canceled/isn't being renewed. Super underrated show that, while not without its cheese (no show I've EVER seen isn't), manages to enrich the characters of Sarah & John Connor in ways that the post T2 sequels couldn't fathom (not to slight the other entries. Okay, not to slight Salvation).

c) I love you.

d) 000101000101010010101000001111010101010000101010101010101010101010101010000000100101010101010101

You're Terminated, fucker.

Harry Lime

No comments:

Post a Comment