The Official Blog of Ike Oden

The Official Blog of Ike Oden
... Who is a writer of sorts.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Switchblade Honey

Hello blog,

How are you doing? You look nice. A little pedestrian in design, but handsome nonetheless. Listen, before we do this, I need to tell you something. Nothing too heavy, but I'm a writer who doesn't like to keep secrets from his page, and you need to know this if we're going to really give it a go. Okay, ready? Here goes. You're not my first blog. To put it more precisely, you're something like my10th blog. Please, I know its a bit soon to drop that bomb on you, but allow me to explain.

I have a problem, see. I tend to start things-- Twitter accounts (see below), MySpace pages (don't see below), Facebook pages (see below), etc-- with the knowledge that I will most certainly fall out of love with them. We'll take a break for a while, or become 'just friends', or maybe break up completely (see MySpace), but this time its going to be different. This time, me and blog are going into this openly as a Topsy Turvy, whirlwind romance with the full knowledge that this fling might not last the test of time. But that doesn't mean we can't have a good time, right?

C'mere, baby. I'm taking you out for a night on the town, for God and everyone else to read. I'm gonna blow your mind, and whisper the following heartfelt, earth shattering realization in your ear: you are going to be my writing blog.

That's right, honey. I'm writing you to highlight and track the progress of my other writings.

A kinky concept, I know, one spurred in part by poking and prodding from my real life girlfriend, Jayme Russell, who is currently updating hers on a daily basis to plot and plan her publication attack formations, goals for literary survival, cutthroat contest submitting, etc. She's taking the bull by the horns and documenting every second of it at her awesome blog, which I suggest you check out for a preview of the scintillating delights to come. I can only hope this blog is half as good. Hers was, in part, inspired by the blog of her good friend and Ultimate Writer Champion Ashley Cowger. We call that giving credit where credit is due.

Rather than try to take advantage of you on the first date, I've decided to start things out slow. We'll build to that mind erasing crescendo later. For now, let me chart my writing progress for the day:

I spent all day swimming with the fam and friends at Burr Oak in Glouster, Ohio.

... And I made this blog.

Yup.

Well, this is awkward, isn't it? Let me just say that tomorrow (which, this being 3:50 am, is really more like today) I'll be spending the WHOLE DAY working on a short story (my first shot at straight fiction in something like a year) and seeking out idiosyncratic venues to show off my already established writing, as I've just now gotten into this whole publication game (the one issue of Rue Morgue I weaseled myself into seems pretty distant now) and need to be working toward said goal with the vigor and tenacity of a starving cannibal.

Tasteful yet passionate kiss,

Harry Lime

No comments:

Post a Comment