The Official Blog of Ike Oden

The Official Blog of Ike Oden
... Who is a writer of sorts.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Quick Question...

Which comes first: boredom or depression? I can't tell anymore, either, but I'm sure as hell not going to succumb to one or the other. Though somehow I really feel like settling into both. No! Shut up, head! Don't do that shit to me! Time to put things into perspective.

I finally notecarded my script out. I'm doing this because I feel like the structure is somewhat pedestrian and I'm looking to fill holes in my story. Its amazing how changing one character will alter a theme completely. I'm trying not to mess with my setpieces too much, as I feel like those are about as good as they're going to get. But character, dialogue, tone, and texture need some perfecting. I'm writing a summer camp slasher movie, in case you were wondering, and while it is a genre whose expectations were met with the original Friday the 13th (hell, the whole damn series is pretty great), I am trying to write THE BEST SUMMER CAMP SLASHER FILM EVER. The fucking Godfather of summer camp slasher movies. If you're interested in reading it at some point (I got that copyright in place, bitches) and you're my pal I'll send you the finished product when I finish it.

My goal is to have it festival ready by the fall. That was my goal last year, but, after getting some outside coverage and over a year's worth of hindsight, I find myself wanting to improve it. After this fall, though, I'll probably leave it as is for an extended stretch of time. I don't want to Orson Welles this thing, which is tempting, but sooner or later I have to give my time to other projects. One script just won't cut it.

In non-writing related news, the week's come to an end, finally and I'm going to celebrate by continuing to work on my screenplay and watching some old movies. Not to mention spending some time with my biggest fan tomorrow, before he's whisked off to have a weekend of his own. What surprises will be in store? Probably Legos and funny voices. Not that I'm bothered by that.

Tangential topic: Is it just me, or is coffee barista-ing the sexiest job in the world? I feel like James Bond behind that counter, and every other lady ordering has credit cards labeled "Xenia Onatopp" and "Honey Goodswallow" (I can't think of another Bond lady so I'm fudging that one a bit). Not to mention the older Dame Judi Dench-s that enjoy getting their decaf on. Your nerves are sensitive-- I have that affect on the ladies. Grrrowl.

Weird personal topic: I'm entering that weird mental zone where I really want people to take me seriously as a badass, but am counteracted by my own funny personality. I imagine most guys get into this place, as, well, no one is ever really satisfied by what they bring to the party. That's why I've taken up bike riding. Nothing is more badass than a guy on a bicycle. Take that, The Expendables.

Wanting to mix it up topic: I'm tired of writing this now. I'm sort of tired of writing in general. A part of me wants to just go out and SHOOT something. My cameras (I have four of them) are gathering dust. Greg should be back soon, which will mean the return of Greg and Satan as well as our comic book project. Perhaps these will scratch my itch?

That's it. In the words of Joss Whedon, the Bob Dylan of UPN vampire musicals, let me rest in piece.

1 comment:

  1. Let me get some sleep.

    Like you told me, directors want to act and actors want to be rock stars. Now, funny people want to be badasses. I guess it would work if your life was like Hot Fuzz.

    Jayme

    ReplyDelete