The Official Blog of Ike Oden

The Official Blog of Ike Oden
... Who is a writer of sorts.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Inspirato

Blog,

I'm tired after half a week of work and, struttin' that ass around town, and related stress, not to mention working halfway through a fourthish draft revision. So, in order to keep my sanity and project my personality on to you, allow me to rattle off a series of websites that continue to inspire me to keep on truckin'.

1. Trailers From Hell is an amazing website featuring running commentary for all sorts of nifty vintage trailers. It spans virtually all genres, but with a special emphasis on classic film and horror/scifi chicanery. My favorite contributors include Josh Olson (A History of Violence), Edgar Wright (Scott Pilgrim), Guillermo Del Toro and Larry Cohen. Not all commentaries are created equal, but these are pretty damn awesome.

2. DVD Verdict- Yes, I'm currently a contributor, but beyond my (barely) respectable collection of reviews lies superstar contributors the likes of Dave Johnson, Mac MCentire, Clark Douglas, and Erich Asperschlager, among other wonderfully talented writers. I've been following the site since 1999, so its great to finally be apart of it, but even if I wasn't, I'd still be following it. Its a wonderfully thorough site with a great cache of podcasts I highly recommend to anyone who likes film, DVDs, games, or television.

3. Filmically Perfect is a super neat site co-maintained by Coen brothers storyboard artist J. Todd Anderson. The main attraction is their podcast (which I'm about to sample), but there's all sorts of nifty storyboard examples, movie list, and related goodies.

4. The Treatment is a podcasted NPR show hosted by film critic extraordinaire Elvis Mitchell. The show features interviews with directors, screenwriters and actors as diverse as Ridley Scott, the Coen Brothers, Bobcat Goldthwait, Chris Nolan, Wes Anderson, and Lloyd Kaufman. At a tidy thirty minutes each, they should fit nicely into your listening schedule.

5. Criterion is not only home to the most expensive art house DVDs freakin' ever, but also is home to some super neato lists and essays by artists and filmmakers like Diablo Cody (one of the most unique writing voices of the new century whose backlash is wholly uncalled for), Rian Johnson (director of Brick), and Steve Buscemi. Not only that, but the teenager in me loves drooling over the kind of pure digital heroin he'll likely never to be able afford. This speaks to the nerdiness of my teenage years.

That's pretty much it. Tired from work, tired of working on my script, so I'm heading home. Enjoy and explore the links, I'm sure there will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment